Kenya is home to four fabulous cities and many towns. You can spend months visiting the best places in the country and still not see them all. And when it comes to towns and cities, not all were created equal. Some of the towns and city environments set the bar for the rest.
The best travel towns and cities to visit in Kenya are often home to some of the world’s most visited places like the Nairobi National Park and Diani beach. For travelers hoping to find inspiration for their next trip, here is a list of some of the cities in Kenya to visit.
Green City in the Sun
Nairobi is the largest city and Capital of Kenya and the center of Nairobi County. It remains one of the most loved cities to visit in Africa. And it attracts all types of travelers because of its proximity to safari destinations and tourist attractions. It is also an easy place to visit for business, with regular flight schedules, tech hubs, and tours available.
Many travelers enjoy Nairobi for the safari and go to see wildlife in places like Nairobi National Park, Elephant Orphanage, and Giraffe Center. Others visit the city because they want to see Museums, Monuments and experience the Kenyan Culture.
Accommodation: Budget Accommodation in Kenya.
Nairobi Travel Guide: What to Do and See
- Nairobi National Park Entrance Fees and Guide.
- Explore Kenya: Best Places to Visit in Kenya.
- Top 10 Tours and Travel Companies in Kenya.
Capital of the Kenyan Coast
Located along the Kenyan Coast, Mombasa is the second-largest and main port city in Kenya. It is also home to some of the best travel destinations in the county – with beaches, marine parks, and historical sites. This city is popular with tourists throughout the year and acts as the hub of coastal towns. Some of the best attractions and things to do near Mombasa include;
- Visiting the North Coast (Kilifi, Watamu, Malindi, and Lamu).
- Visiting the South Coast (Diani).
- Exploring marine parks, beaches, and forests.
- Learning the history of the old towns.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving.
- Relax at the numerous resorts and hotels.
Accommodation: Where to Stay in Mombasa.
Mombasa City Travel Resources
Lakeside and Western Circuit
Kisumu is the third largest and main inland port city in Kenya. It is located west of Nairobi in the Nyanza region and the Lake Victoria Basin.
There is never a lack of interest in Kisumu as a destination. This makes it one of the most touristic cities in Kenya. The Luo culture is one of its main draws, as many tourists descend on the lakeside city to learn about the people’s way of life.
Hundreds of tourists visit Kisumu every year and tour the top attractions, like Lake Victoria, Kit Mikayi, and Kisumu museum. Part of what makes the city such a treat to visit is its location, which makes it easy to visit other East African cities like Kampala, Kigali, and Gitega.
Accommodation: Where to Stay in Kisumu.
Kisumu City Travel Resources
- Nairobi to Kisumu Safari Train Schedule.
- Ruma National Park, Homa Bay County.
- Top 10 Amazing Things To Do in Nyanza Region.
Rift valley and Beyond
Located in the Rift Valley region, Nakuru is a newly upgraded city in Kenya. It was elevated from a Municipal town to a City on 01-12-2022. Besides visiting the popular Nakuru National Park, there are other fun things to do and places to visit near Nakuru city. These include the following;
- Explore the Hyrax Hill Museum.
- Hike at the Menengai Crater and Caves.
- Travel to Lake Baringo and Lake Bogoria.
- Stay at the Lake Elementaita Lodge.
- Explore the Hell’s Gate National Park.
- Take a boat ride on Lake Naivasha.
- Hike Mt. Longonot and Table Mountain.
- Visit Lord Egerton Castle.
Read more on Nakuru City and Beyond
- Rift Valley Region: Top 5 Places to Visit
- Menengai Crater and Caves, Nakuru County
- Explore Hell’s Gate National Park
Gateway to Nothern Kenya
Although it’s not a city, Nanyuki is one of the best travel destinations in Kenya. Besides being a great destination for Roadtrippers, it is considered the gateway to the North. Expeditions to towns and attractions in Laikipia County and Northern Kenya start or pass by Nanyuki.
Whether you are traveling to Moyale, Marsabit, or Ethiopia by road, visiting conservancies, aiming at Ngare Ndare, or traveling to the Chalbi Desert, Nanyuki is a must-visit.
Accommodation: Where to Stay in Nanyuki.