Kirinyaga County is one of the 47 counties in Kenya and one of the counties in the Mount Kenya region. It covers an area of 1,478.1 square kilometers and lies between 1,158 meters and 5,380 meters above sea level. The county borders three counties namely Embu, Nyeri, and Murang’a.
Kirinyaga is an agrarian county. It grows some of the best coffee in the world, tea, and best aromatic rice in East Africa. Also, the county boasts of agricultural exports such as macadamia and horticulture.
The county is named after Mt. Kenya (Kirinyaga) which means the dwelling place of God in the Kikuyu community. Kirinyaga county is situated at the foot of the mountain where traditionally the Kikuyu people offered their prayers to Ngai (Mwene Nyaga).
Kutus town is the headquarters of the county. Other urban centers in Kirinyaga include Kerugoya, Sagana and Wang’uru, Kagio, and Kagumo.
Ann Waiguru is the Governor of Kirinyaga County. She retained the position after defeating her close competitor Purity Ngirici in the 2022 general elections.
Sub-Counties in Kirinyaga County
The county comprises five (5) sub-counties and four (4) constituencies.
- Kirinyaga Central
- Mwea East
- Mwea West
- Kirinyaga East
- Kirinyaga West
10 Things to Do and See in Kirinyaga County
- Go and explore Mount Kenya National Park
- Visit the Mwea Irrigation Scheme (Wamumu Section).
- Take a wildlife trip at Mwea National Reserve.
- Visit the Thingira Cultural Village.
- Go rafting at Rapids camp falls in Sagana.
- Stay at the rustic Castle Forest Lodge.
- Chase Mau Mau caves at Ndaraca Ya Ngai.
- Stay at Jangwani Camp in Sagana.
- Stay at the Nice Digital Hotel.
- Camp and do water sports at the Savage Wilderness.
- Take a day trip and explore the Sagana Canyon/Gorge.
County Government Contacts
- Office Phone: 254 20 258 2237
- Fire station: 0711 234 567
- Ambulance: 0798 595 559
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post Office: P.O Box 260-10304, Kutus.
- Featured Image: Rafting by Savage Wilderness
- Related Article: 8 Best Places to Visit in Nyeri County in One Day