Mombasa County (001) is one of the counties along the Kenyan Coast. It’s divided into six sub-counties; Changamwe, Jomvu, Kisauni, Nyali, Likoni, and Mvita. The headquarters of the County is based in Mombasa City. This city is a national tourism hub and the second largest city in Kenya after Nairobi.
Although it is the smallest among the six counties in the former coastal province, Mombasa has the second highest population in the region – after Kilifi.
Things to Do and Places to Visit in Mombasa County
Mombasa is famous for its rich history and tourist attractions. Besides beautiful beaches, wildlife parks, and a marine park, the city is also popular with watersports and nightlife. It is one of Kenya’s key tourist destinations and attracts both domestic and international tourists.
If you a planning a trip to the Kenyan Coast, below is a list of Top 20 Things to Do and Places to Visit in Mombasa County. It includes wildlife activities, walking tours, beach experiences, and so much more.
- Wander along the alleyways of Mombasa’s old town.
- Go snorkeling at Mombasa Marine National Park & Reserve.
- Experience thrilling adrenaline at the Mombasa Go-Kart in Shanzu.
- Take a walk along the coastline enjoying the ocean breeze.
- Relax on the white sands of Shanzu Beach.
- Visit Mamba Village and check out crocodiles and reptiles.
- Have a wildlife experience at Haller Park.
- Visit Fort Jesus – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Experience Kenyan Culture at the Bombolulu Workshop and Cultural Centre.
- Visit the Nguuni Nature Sanctuary for a wildlife tour.
- Engage in different activities like swimming and beach sports at Pirates beach.
- Fancy a boat ride or watching the sunset? Visit Nyali beach.
- Enjoy camel rides, boat rides, and water sports at Bamburi beach.
- Go on an adrenaline-filled adventure at the Wild Waters Park.
- Take a photo at the monumental Mombasa Tusks (“Pembe Mbili”).
- Shop for keepsakes, wood carvings, and paintings in Mombasa cultural markets.
- Relax at the Mama Ngina Waterfront overlooking the Kilindini Channel.
- Dare to experience the Mombasa nightlife.
- Experience different Water activities in Mombasa County.
- Enjoy an evening ride onboard the Likoni Ferry.
How to Get There
The cheapest transport from Nairobi to Mombasa costs about $15. And the quickest way takes just 1 hour 45 minutes.
Fly to Mombasa
The fastest way to Mombasa from Nairobi is by flight. Several airlines are operating daily scheduled flights to Mombasa International Airport. These flights depart from international and domestic airports (JKIA and Wilson). An air ticket from Nairobi to Mombasa costs between Kshs 4,000 and Ksh 11,000.
And the best airlines from Nairobi to Mombasa include Kenyan Airways, Jambojet, Fly540, and Safarilink.
Take a Train from Nairobi
There are three daily trains from Nairobi to Mombasa. One is an inter-county train (8:00 am) and the other two are Express Trains (3:00 pm and 10:00 pm). The morning train stops at intermediate stations along the SGR line while the afternoon and night trains are express. A train ticket to Mombasa costs Kshs 1000 for Economy Class and Kshs 3,000 for First Class seats.
From the Mombasa train terminus, there are vans to almost every destination in the County.
Self Drive along Mombasa Road
Longing for a road trip? If yes, driving from Nairobi to Mombasa is one of the best road trips in Kenya. Although it involves traffic with cargo trucks, the journey is worth experiencing. And the road distance between the two cities is about 483 kilometers.
Take a Day or Night Bus to Mombasa
The Nairobi-Mombasa route has some of the best and most comfortable Long Distance buses in Kenya. These buses have scheduled trips day and night. They are boarded at Nairobi CBD. And unlike trains and flights, the buses drop you in Mombasa City Center.
Hotels in Mombasa County
Whether you are looking for a beach villa, guesthouse, or budget accommodation, there is always a place for you to stay in Mombasa. The city and its environs are home to some of the best hotels and resorts in Kenya. To search and book the best hotels in Mombasa County, visit the booking.com website.
There are way too many things to do and see in Mombasa. The County is dotted with attractions and travel destinations which makes it unique and a must-visit. Whether you want to take a rest in a beach villa, go exploring marine parks or watch sunsets, the city has it all in store for you.
Featured Image: Sailing at Mombasa Yacht Club Photo by Prolific Ke on Unsplash