SGR Trains from Nairobi to Mombasa
There are three trains from Nairobi to Mombasa – Two Express trains and One Inter-County train. The Inter-County train (Train N2) departs every morning at 8 am and stops at the seven Inter-County stations along the SGR line. These stations are: Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Mtito Andei, Voi, Miasenyi and Mariakani. The two Express trains (Train E2 and Train E4) leave at 3 pm (afternoon) and 10 pm (night) respectively.
At what time does SGR leave Nairobi?
The morning train leaves at 8:00 am, the Afternoon train at 3:00 pm, and the Night Train at 10:00 pm daily. Below is the full schedule for trains from Nairobi to Mombasa.
How long does the SGR take from Nairobi to Mombasa?
- Morning Train (Inter-County): 6 hours (8:00 am – 2:00 pm).
- Afternoon Train (Express): 5 Hours 8 Minutes (3:00 pm to 8:08 pm).
- Night Train (Express): 5 Hours 35 Minutes (10:00 pm to 3:35 am).
SGR train Classes
Each SGR train between Nairobi and Mombasa has two classes (First Class and Economy Class). The main differences between economy-class and first-class in the Madaraka Express are prices, comfort, and in-train services.
First-class passengers pay more. However, they have access to comfortable seats with enough leg space, more privacy, a VIP lounge, and a faster food and drinks service. In the economy class coaches, services take longer, and the seats offer much less comfort.
How much is the train from Nairobi to Mombasa?
Economy Class prices
Adults and Children between 12 and 17 Years pay Kshs 1000, Children between 3 and 11 Years pay Kshs 500, while Children below 3 Years travel Free of charge.
First Class prices
Adults and Children between 12 and 17 Years pay Kshs 3000, Children between 3 and 11 Years pay Kshs 1500, while Children below 3 Years travel Free of charge.
How to Book the Train between Nairobi and Mombasa?
1. Visit the nearby Train Station
If you are close to any SGR station, you can walk in and buy your tickets. This is the best and easiest way since you can choose your seat(s) and print your boarding pass. For any queries, you can call Kenya Railways on 0709 388888 between 8:00 am and 8:30 pm.
2. Book Madaraka Express Online
Booking Madaraka Express Train via the Metickets platform is the safest, easy and fast ticket booking option. To book your tickets, follow the following steps;
- Go to Metickets online platform (Madaraka Express Online Booking).
- Select your Train Type (Express or Inter-County).
- Select your departure station and arrival station.
- Enter your Departure date and click on “Book a Train”.
- Enter the number of passengers and coach type (Economy or First Class).
- Click on “Book a Train”.
- Enter Passenger(s) details, payment mobile number, and email address.
- Click on Proceed to Pay.
- Confirm your trip and choose the payment option (PAY NOW or PAY LATER).
- If you click PAY NOW, you will be prompted to complete the payment with Mpesa.
On payment, you will receive a Mpesa SMS with an Account Number. You will use this Account Number and your Mobile Number to print your boarding pass at the station or before the day of travel.
3. Using Safaricom USSD *639#
With the Safaricom USSD, Madaraka Express passengers can book or check their ticket status. All one has to do is Dial the USSD Code *639# and follow the prompts. The process is easy and takes only a few minutes. Payment is completed using Mpesa.
With USSD you can buy up to 5 tickets in one transaction. Booking can be made 24/7 from the comfort of your home, workplace, or even while on the go.
4. Through an Agency
For overseas travelers who aren’t able to complete the payment via Mpesa, tickets can be purchased through a travel agency. Look for a trusted SGR booking service and email them your request. Alternatively, travelers can request their accommodation facility, tour company, or hosts in Kenya to book SGR tickets for them.
Travel and Booking Requirements
- Adults (18 years and above): Valid ID or Passport
- Children (12-17 Years): Guardian ID or Passport Number
- Children (3-11 years): No ID required
Location of SGR Stations
Madaraka Express Train stations are located outside the cities – The Nairobi SGR Terminus in Syokimau, and the Mombasa SGR Terminus in Miritini.
How do you access the Nairobi SGR Terminus?
The SGR terminus in Syokimau can be accessed from Nairobi city and environs using different means. The easiest way is by using a taxi or personal vehicle. Alternatively, passengers can use public buses and Matatus located at the railway’s bus terminus or the SGR Link Trains. The link trains operate from the Nairobi Central Station to the SGR terminus. Passengers can board the train from Central Station, Makadara station, or Imara Daima station.
If you are coming from Mombasa, there is a link train from Nairobi Terminus to the City Center. Fare prices for the link trains are Kshs 100 (DMU trains) and Kshs 50 (Other trains).
Stations Google Map Locations
SGR Link Trains Schedule
There are three link trains to the SGR Terminus; morning (06:35 am), Midday (12:00 pm), and evening (8:10 pm).
How do you Contact Kenya Railways SGR?
- To book a ticket via telephone or make reservations, call 0709 388888 between 8:00 am and 8:30 pm.
- For general inquiries, lost & found and service complaints, call 0709 388887 between 6:30 am and 8:30 pm.
- To contact the Kenya Railways HQ customer care, Call 0709 907 000.
- KR Website, Facebook Page, and Twitter Account.
- Metickets Booking Platform.
- Kenya Railways HQ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SGR: The Standard Gauge Railway.
- DMU: Diesel Multiple Units by Nairobi Commuter Rail.
- Inter-County: Stops at intermediate stations.
- Express: Travels Express between Nairobi and Mombasa.