Hell’s Gate National Park, Nakuru County.
Would you like to see where Simba’s Father from “Lion King Movie” died? Or the Ol-Njorowa Gorge where Angelina Jolie was hosted while shooting Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life? If yes (Which should be), then the Hell’s Gate National Park in Kenya is the place to be.
- Area coverage: About 68 Square Kilometers
- Location: South of Lake Naivasha in Naivasha, Nakuru County
- Accessibility: From Naivasha town
- Mode of payment: Visa Card, Master card, or Mpesa ( Cash not allowed).
- Camping allowed: Yes. There are several campsites inside the Park.
Location and Itinerary
The Park is located at Naivasha which is about 90 km from Nairobi City. This happens to be the only National Park in Kenya where you can ride a bike or hike while viewing different wild animals without using a safari van or vehicle. It is home to many amazing sceneries including natural geothermal hot springs, rock tower cliffs, water gorges, rock towers, and volcanoes.
Hell’s Gate National park can be accessed either mainly from Olkaria Gate or Elsa Gate. At the park, you get an option of either doing a game drive in a vehicle or riding a mountain bike. The bike ride is normally a spectacular 7Kms of pure fun and great sightseeing up to the Ranger’s post.
Along the way, you will have a chance of game viewing Antelopes, Buffalos, Zebras, Eland, Hartebeest, Thomson’s gazelle, Maasai Giraffe, Baboon, Serval cat, Klipspringer, different birds, and Rock climbing at the Fisher’s tower.
Njorowa Gorges and the Hot Natural Spa
The next stop from the fisher’s tower is the ranger’s post. This is a resting place before proceeding to the Njorowa Gorges. These gorges present a hike in the amazing and scenic landscapes, hot springs, canyons, and a view of Kenya’s geothermal power plant.
After the trip from the gorges, you can decide to either head back to the Main Gate (Olkaria) or go swimming at the incredible hot natural spa.
Main Activities at Hell’s Gate National Park
Some of the activities that can be done on a full day at the Hells gate National Park include:
- View of the Great Rift Valley at the viewpoint on the way to Naivasha.
- Walking in Ol-Njorowa Gorge and experiencing the hot springs
- Bike cycling and rock climbing at the Fischer’s tower
- Visit the Devil’s bedroom.
- Game drive and wild animals viewing
- Swimming in a natural hot spa
- Camping (This is also possible if you are planning to stay more than a day).
- Take a boat ride for Hippo watching at Lake Naivasha (This is optional and if you have time, it is a great experience too)
What to pack and carry
To get to the Park you may need to hire a van or a safari vehicle. It’s possible to get access by using public transport services but this can take you quite some time to arrive at the Park. There is no direct public bus to the park. Some personal items and things worth carrying include:
- Passport or National identification.
- Money for the Park entrance, rock climbing, bike rent, and swimming.
- Snacks, drinks, and energy bars.
- Camera or phone to take pictures.
- Swimming costumes.
- Comfortable hiking shoes and clothes.
Related Articles and Resources
Explore Hell’s Gate with Kenyan Backpacker
Get in Touch for Private Tour Guide Services to the Hell’s Gate National Park.