Discover the convenience of online booking for Madaraka Express and SGR trains on the official Kenya Railways SGR Train Online Booking Website (Metickets). Secure your journey effortlessly and explore the beauty of Kenya with the easy-to-use booking platform.
On January 8, 2018, Kenya Railways launched the Madaraka Express train service Website. The website came after months of challenges getting the tickets. The prior available means of booking SGR tickets for the trains between Nairobi and Mombasa were either using USSD Code *639# or visiting the respective station.
Passengers can now enjoy the convenience of booking a ride on the Madaraka Express Train and SGR intercounty train through Kenya Railway’s online booking system. It is quick and very easy to use.
How to book Madaraka Express online from the Website
- Go to metickets.krc.co.ke
- Select the Preferred train (Madaraka Express for the afternoon or SGR intercounty for morning travel)
- Select your Starting station (Mombasa, Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Miaseny, Mariakani, Mtito Andei, Voi, or Nairobi)
- Type in or Select your desired destination (Nairobi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Mariakani, Miaseny, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River, or Mombasa)
- Indicate or select the travel date.
- Select the coach type and indicate the number of passengers (Second Class or First class)
- Enter the passenger details (Full name, ID/Passport number, and Country)
- Select the payment option (Mpesa)
Once you make the SGR online booking, you will get a confirmation message in which you will use the details to print the ticket at the respective station (departing station)
Useful information when booking Madaraka Express online
You can book individual tickets 30 days in advance. Group bookings for more than 20 passengers should be made officially 30 days in advance.
Update: You can now book the tickets 60 Days in Advance (As Of June 01, 2019)
- SGR Mombasa Terminus Location (Miritini Main Station)
- SGR Nairobi Terminus Location (Syokimau Main Station)
Madaraka Express Passenger station Contacts
You can contact Kenya Railways through the following numbers and contacts for inquiries.
- Kenya Railways Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SGR Booking phone number: 0709 388 888
- SGR Website: www.krc.co.ke
- Facebook account: Kenya Railways
- Twitter account: @KenyaRailways
Trains from Nairobi to Mombasa Schedule
N2 (Intercounty) train from Nairobi to Mombasa shall depart Nairobi Terminus at 8:00 am and arrive at Mombasa Terminus at 2:00 pm.
E2 (Express) train from Nairobi to Mombasa shall depart at 3:00 pm to arrive at Mombasa Terminus at 8:30 pm.
E4 (Express) train from Nairobi to Mombasa shall depart at 10:00 pm and arrive at Mombasa Terminus at 3:35 am the next day.
|Nairobi to Mombasa Train Schedule|
|N2 (Morning)||6 Hrs 00 Min||8:00 AM||2:00 PM|
|E2 (Afternoon)||5 Hrs 30 Min||3:00 PM||8:30 PM|
|E4 (Night)||5 Hrs 35 Min||10:00 PM||3:35 AM|
Trains from Mombasa to Nairobi Schedule
N1 (Intercounty) train from Mombasa to Nairobi will depart Mombasa Terminus at 8:00 am and arrive at Nairobi Terminus at 2:10 pm.
E1 (Express) train will depart Mombasa Terminus at 3:00 pm and arrive at Nairobi Terminus at 8:30 pm.
E3 (Express) train will depart Mombasa Terminus at 10:00 pm and arrive at Nairobi Terminus at 3:35 am the next day.
|Mombasa to Nairobi Train Schedule|
|N1 (Morning)||6 Hrs 10 Min||8:00 AM||2:10 PM|
|E1 (Afternoon)||5 Hrs 18 Min||3:00 PM||8:18 PM|
|E3 (Night)||5 Hrs 35 Min||10:00 PM||3:35 AM|
Madaraka Express & SGR Intercounty Latest Prices
Here are the latest prices for Madaraka Express and SGR Intercounty trains from January 01, 2024.
|#||Passengers||First Class||Economy Class|
|1||Adults||Ksh 4,500||Ksh 1,500|
|2||12 – 18 Years||Ksh 4,500||Ksh 1,500|
|3||3 – 11 Years||Ksh 2,250||Ksh 750|
|4||0 – 3 Years||Ksh 0.00||Ksh 0.00|
Over time, I have had a very frequently asked question about SGR booking using Mpesa or USSD *639#. After paying for the tickets, many passengers don’t get a confirmation message from Kenya Railways. All they get is a Mpesa message.
Question asked: I have paid for SGR tickets, and I haven’t received the confirmation message. What do I do?
Answer: In the Mpesa message that you get, there is an account number from SGR; you will use this account number together with the phone number you used to book to print the tickets at the departure train station. Arrive at the station about one and a half hours in advance.
For more information About the Trains between Nairobi and Mombasa, Check the following Links.
- Madaraka Express Booking for International Travelers
- SGR Madaraka Express train tickets, advance booking, timings, stops, and other information.
- Nairobi to Mombasa Advance Train Booking
- Madaraka Express 2018 Schedule Effective 01 December 2017
Travel safe, and remember to share. Visit Kenyan Backpacker for more updates on budget travel in Kenya, Africa, and beyond.