Nanyuki is a town in Laikipia County, Kenya. It is located along the Great North leading to Moyale, Addis Ababa, and beyond. Besides being a popular safari destination in Kenya, the town is synonymous with Road trips.
This town is a jewel in Kenya’s crown. A gateway to Mount Kenya National Park, wildlife conservancies, and the wonders of Northern Kenya.
How to Get There
There are three main modes of transport from Nairobi to Nanyuki – Road, Railway, and Air. Nanyuki distance from Nairobi is about 147 km. Travelers can get there using private means, public Matatu’s, or in an overland truck. There is a passenger train from Nairobi to Nanyuki every Friday. And for faster travel, use local flights to Nanyuki airstrip.
Where to Eat
There are many restaurants and eateries in Nanyuki town. If you are looking for delicious food, well-brewed coffee, or a place to relax, this town will not disappoint. Among the best places are KFC at Cinder Mall, Dorman’s, Urban Smoke, and the Nook.
Banks and ATMs
Major Banks, ATMs, and Sacco’s are available in Nanyuki. Kenya Women, KCB, Equity, I&M Bank, Family, Post Bank, Unison, and Absa are the most common.
One of the most attractive things about Nanyuki is its Nightlife. The town is lively throughout the week and vibrant over weekends. Traveler’s favorite bars and clubs are Moran Lounge, Downtown, and Checkers Club.
Nanyuki is growing fast with shopping malls and centers. There are also several local markets with groceries, gifts, and wares. Cinder Mall and Nanyuki Mall are the favorites.
Top 10 Things to do in Nanyuki
- Take a Road Trip from Nairobi
- Stop at the Equator Crossing
- Visit Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Go Climb Mt. Kenya
- Explore the Ngare Ndare Forest
- Travel North to the Chalbi Desert
- Visit Ol Jogi Wildlife Conservancy
- Dine at the Trout Tree Restaurant
- Train at Mount Kenya Climbing Gym
- Hike in search of Mau Mau Caves
Places to stay in Nanyuki (accommodation)
Nanyuki has many accommodation options within and outside town. You can choose to stay in a budget campsite, guest house, Airbnb, or a luxury resort. Below are the rates for most facilities in the town.
- Budget Accommodation: $10 – $45 USD per night
- Mid-range hotels: $50 – $90 USD per night
- Luxury – High end: Anything over $100 per night
Best Hotels in Nanyuki Town
- Warwick hotel
- Falcon heights
- Peaks hotel
- Emes Hotel
- Ibis Hotel
- Comfort gardens
- Kongoni camp
- Le Rustique Hotel
Resorts and Cottages Nearby
- Maiyan Resort and Holiday Villas
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club
- Aberdare Prestige & Royal Cottages
- Sweet waters Serena Camp
- Old House
- Soames Hotel & Jack’s Bar
For more affordable accommodation facilities, you can check out the Best hotels in Nanyuki page on booking com.
Other Accommodation Alternatives
There are other places to stay near and in Nanyuki such as Mianzi Camp, Sieku Glamping, and Mukima house. Also, check out cottages and Airbnb like One Stop Nanyuki & Shepherd’s Huts.
Explore Nanyuki Town Map
On this map, you’ll find all the Hotels, attractions, Banks, Restaurants, ATMs, and Nightclubs to help you during your trip. Click here to go to the map.
Useful Travel Resources
- Hospitals: Cottage hospital, Aga Khan, and Nanyuki Teaching & Referral Hospital.
- Matatu’s from Nairobi to Nanyuki: 2NK Sacco, Cabs Express, Meiso, and Nyena Sacco.
- Accommodation Booking: Use this link to check/book your accommodation. If you make a booking, at no extra cost to you.
Featured Photo: Equator sign by Kongoni Camp.