Kilifi County (003) is one of the six counties in the former Coast province. The rest are Mombasa, Kwale, Lamu, Taita Taveta, and Tana River Counties. It is also listed third among the 47 counties in Kenya.
The county is divided into six sub-counties, which include Kilifi, Malindi, Ganze, Magarini, Kaloleni, and Rabai.
Kilifi County is a beautiful destination for tourists. It is home to some of the most visited towns in Kenya. The most popular travel places include Mtwapa, Kilifi, Watamu, and Malindi.
Top 18 Things to do in Kilifi County
- Relax at Bofa Beach in Kilifi.
- Stay at Distant Relatives Eco Lodge.
- Visit the Rabai Museum.
- Explore Mekatilili wa Menza Site.
- Explore the coastal nightlife in Watamu and Mtwapa.
- Go for thrilling adventures (Kitesurfing and Snorkelling).
- Get a historical experience at Malindi Museum.
- Visit Watamu Marine National Park.
- Take a guided tour of the Gedi Ruins historical site.
- Go bird watching at the Arabuko Sokoke National Reserve.
- Take a boat ride in Mida Creek.
- Swim or relax at one of the beautiful beaches in Watamu.
- Do different watersports and activities at 3 Degrees South.
- Take a boat ride at Malindi Marine National Park.
- See the Vasco Da Gama Pillar and the Portuguese Chapel.
- Explore the Mnarani Ruins historical site.
- Visit the Jumba La Mtwana national monument.
- Explore the Marafa depression (Hell’s Kitchen).
How to Get There
The distance between towns within the county is short, and matatus are plying the routes. From Nairobi, Kilifi can be accessed by road, rail, or Air.
By Air: Take a flight from JKIA or Wilson Airport in Nairobi to Malindi airport.
Road: Take a long-distance bus from Nairobi to Mtwapa, Kilifi, Watamu, or Malindi.
By Rail: Take the SGR trains from Nairobi to Mombasa. And then transfer to Kilifi County using a van or taxi.
Where to stay in Kilifi County
There are several hotels and other accommodation facilities in Kilifi County for every budget. Where you are into holiday resorts, luxury hotels, Airbnb, or backpackers hostels, Kilifi has a stay for you. Below are some of the best hotels in Kilifi County.
- Hostels and Hotels in Kilifi.
- Best Resorts, Villas, and hotels in Watamu.
- Apartments and Hotels in Mtwapa.
- Holiday villas and hotels in Malindi.
Related Articles on Things to do in Kenya
- Nyeri County: Best Tourist Attractions.
- Nanyuki Travel: Road Trips, Places to Visit, and Stay
- Top 10 Best Airports in Kenya.
- Top 10 Things to Do in Taita Taveta County
- Meru County: 20 Things to Do and Places to Visit.
- List of Best Places to Visit in Lamu County
- Nyandarua County: Best Places to Visit and Things to Do.
- Top 10 Best Beaches in Kenya.